Gome's Smoked BBQ Wings
from Tony Frierdich
Serving Size: 2 Cluckies
2 Lbs. of Fresh Chicken Wings
1 Bottle of Bandana's Original "HOT" BBQ Sauce
1 Tray Mesquite or Hickory wood chips
If you are looking for something different than the traditional Buffalo Hot Wing taste try this BBQ flavor. After all Bandana's is the best BBQ shack in St. Louis. A smoker is recommended although not required. On your gas grill your "smoker tray" and some hickory or mesquite wood chips will do the trick.
1. Soak the wood chips in water for 1/2 to 1 hour.(Roth's recommend a couple hours)
2. Fire up the heat on one side of the grill only . The wings will go on the non heated side. Indirect heat will produce the best results.
3. Put your smoker tray with wood chips directly on top of the fire to get maximum smoke.
4. When your chips are smoking, place your unbreaded(a.k.a. naked) wings on the opposite side.
5. Depending on temperature and size of wings, grilling time is between 1 to 2 hours. Rotate the wings only one time during grilling.
6. When your wings are golden brown transfer them to the stove where your BBQ sauce is heating and roll wings in sauce.
7. Chow down.
*For you non "HOT" wing lovers, try the Bandana's Original BBQ sauce instead of the "HOT".
*Although smoked wings are good when you season them before grilling that is not necessary in this recipe and is not recommended.
*It is always recommended to make sure you will not go short on sauce b/c you can never have too much.
Back to the Recipes Page